Friday, May 25, 2012

It's not what you spend it's who you know

Two separate incidents this week are behind my reason for this post. I've been trying to work out how best to give this blog a focus or structure and one of the ideas is for it to become a place where we can all rave about products or services which we love and particularly those businesses set up by people we know personally and really admire. It's recognised that one of the most powerful forms of marketing is direct recommendations from people we know/ word of mouth. Traditional advertising is so expensive and indirect for many small businesses so we should take it upon ourselves to sing the praises of all the hard working talented people we know who are striving in their own enterprises whatever they might be. Supporting those close to us helps ensure our hard earned money stays within our own communities which ultimately brings benefits back to all of us.

So I'll kick things off with two shout outs.....!

On Monday I recieved an email from my friend Nikki putting me on to a range of bath and skin products for little ones Made 4 Baby. Nikki knows I have been having massive problems with dermatitis to the point where I am bathing my kids with plastic gloves on! So she put me onto the best product range she knew of which also happens to be created by her good friend Rebecca McLeod. By recommending Made for Baby Nikki has saved me squandering my time and money and the remaining skin on my hands trying out whatever  products catch my attention simply because they can spend the most on advertising. Website above or 'Like' Made 4 Baby on facebook.

Deahne Lakatani is the talent behind gorgeous girls clothing label Noah & Bells and I've been following them on facebook and online since meeting her briefly several years ago through a common friend. I have since 'liked' the facebook page and have made several purchases through the amazing 'facebook friends' sales. I bumped into Deahne on Thursday morning and was nervous about re-introducing myself given I didn't expect her to remember me. Funny thing was we were standing amidst a group of other parents who were raving about the merits of purchasing their children's clothes online from UK retail giant Marks & Spence.....Deahne was standing right there, the creator of a brilliant original local clothing company and I am still kicking myself that I let my shyness rule and was not quick enough to re-introduce myself to her and then pipe up loudly with a skite....."why don't you try Deahne's "Noah & Bells" instead, they're brilliant value too.....". So this shout out is the next best thing. Please check her clothes out for any little girl in your life - they are beautiful, functional, original and great value. Like "Noah & Bells" on Facebook or check out the website Noah & Bells.

PLUS if you're in Auckland and have time and $ to spend then both of the above companies will also be at Mary's Market tomorrow - Freemans Bay Community Hall, 52 Hepburn St 9am - 1pm.

(I'd love to have some more shout outs to add.....for starters I'd love to recieve a friend's recommendation for Red Yeti/ Sutherland Kovach/ hint hint hint....list could go on and on and on......- do the right thing by your friends and post a comment below and I will add them all to my newly created "Companies We Love" page)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Bec. I think this is relaly interesting and has a lot of merit but my concern is that it will probably just result in me seeing more things i like and spending more money i shouldn't!!! Perhaps a feature on willpower and restraint could be in order??!